Monday, July 28, 2008

My Tomica Collection

A few weeks ago, we covered some of my favorite Matchbox cars from the 1970s.

Today, we'll cover some of my favorite Tomicas. My Tomica collection can be divided into three distinct phases. In the first phase, friends and family bought them for me in the 1970s when I was a toddler. These toys have seen serious abuse and punishment. The second phase includes cars I bought in elementary school in the 1980s. I pampered these and I consciously selected models that I liked at the toy store. In the final phase, I bought a few Tomicas on trips to Japan during college for nostalgia's sake.

Here are just a few of them.

Phase 1: 1974 NHK TV truck. This van came with a springy suspension and rear doors that opened. The metal piece that made up the headlights on my model disappeared decades ago.

Phase 1: Until I came upon the hello.to/tomica site, I had no idea that this was a Mazda Sigma. Obviously, I did not pick this car out at the toy store.

Phase 1: I never knew what this Nissan Diesel held. I assume it's propane.

Phase 2: I bought this Pocket Car in the 80s because my mom had a four door version of this in real life.

Phase 2: I distinctly remember opening up the package to this BMW 320i but I do not remember why I bought it.

Phase 2: I think I bought this Cadillac ambulance because it reminded me of the Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters.

Phase 3: I bought this in the mid-1990s because I liked Skylines. Looking at this displayed on my shelf in college probably caused my obsession with the R32.

Phase 3: There was a point in college when my two dream cars were a Toyota Supra and a Range Rover. Et voila, here we have them.


CKY

No comments: