Wednesday, October 29, 2008

1992 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition

While I was waiting at a red light today, there was an old beat up Saab 9000 ahead of me. The rear seats were piled high with empty plastic grocery bags and the fabric on the thick C-pillars looked like it had been chewed up by a pit bull. But what fascinated me the most was the discrete badge just below the passenger side taillight:


What was it? It was a special edition model of the Saab 9000 CD Turbo sedan. In America, only 400 were imported in 1992. Each car had a sequential model number badge on the dash.

According to a New York Times car review, this was Saab's flagship. There were no options. Everything was included. It was the most spacious imported luxury sedan available. Its 2.3 liter turbo 4 was fast. But the price of $42,000 (over $62,000 in today's dollars) was a bit steep. What did it come with? A gold card that could be used at dealer shops to receive free scheduled maintenance for three years, driver's side airbag, seat belt pretensioners, ABS brakes, traction control, a cellular phone that can be removed from the center console, a CD changer in the trunk and a CD head unit in the cockpit, separate AC for the rear passengers, heated and power mirrors, headlight washers and wipers, one-touch driver's power window, trip computer, and a warning for black ice when the outside temperature reaches a certain threshold.

It did not come with cup holders.

Judging by the condition of the Saab I saw today, my guess is that none of the features I just listed work on the car right now.



CKY

6 comments:

Edvin said...

Cool, I used to own two Saab 9000 Turbos. Fast in a straight line but horribly rusty. Over here in Europe the newer Griffins also came with a 3.0 V6 by GM, however most people prefer the Turbo.

m75 said...

saab 9-5 comes as griffin in Sweden again http://www.saabsverige.com/main/SE/sv/model/95_WAGON/index.shtml



Läderklädsel Griffin Sport 2-ton, Black/Grey K56
-
5 000
standard

Läderklädsel Griffin Sport 2-ton, Black/Parchment B56
-
5 000
standard

Läderklädsel Griffin Sport 2-ton, Parchment/Black L56
-
5 000
standard

Ryan E said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maxichamp said...

Hi Ryan,

I purposely did not use your website. I found the video on youtube. The guy who uploaded the video is from Denmark. Please chill.

If I ever use your site in the future, I will ask you for permission.

Knotty said...

Spooky 4years or so on and I'm looking for the original UK Griffin TV ad and I find this thread. Yes there was a grif in the UK not quite as blinged up as your USA version but fine nontheless and no limited edition as far as I know. True there was a 3litre V6 version with an autbox but the 2.3 High pressure turbo manual is preffered. I know I've had one since 98 and still use it now and again. Great car just can't part with it

Unknown said...

I have 3.0L V6 and my wife haves a 3.2L V6 (LA3 - Y32SE ''Long Block'' motor version), both with automatic transmission Griffins. Really great cars, fast enough and goes faster on a highway then 2.3L HPT. 250km/h with few upgrades (freeair filter and power chip on a motronic box) Yippikai-yea :)