Friday, December 12, 2008

Lottery Ticket Psychosis

What is it about lottery tickets? I have not bought one in at least six or seven years. But with all the doom and gloom on TV, I bought five this morning when I found out that the Mega Millions jackpot was going to be $207 million. But with a 1 in 175,000,000 chance of winning the big prize, I am more likely to be struck by lightning, attacked by a shark, and drown in my bathtub, all at the same time.

But after I bought the tickets, I daydreamed. Debts would be paid off. Family and friends would be helped. Charities would receive donations. My car collection would grow. Exotic trips would be taken. Etc., etc., etc. I think the five dollars just bought some happy daydreams, and that's it.

We'll see about all that in 27 minutes. I think I've got a good chance of winning.

CKY

Update 1: I did not win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But did the $5 dollar daydreams make you feel better, or worse when you couldn't fulfill them? When you couldn't pay off your debts or help your family and friends?