Tuesday, January 12, 2010

1954 AMG 300SL Gullwing Resto-Mod: Sacrilege?

Over the last decade or so, AMG restored and modified eight 300SL Gullwings. Most went to the Sultan of Brunei. One just sold at auction for $785,000.

So what's new?
  • a 380 horsepower, 6 liter M119 V8.
  • four speed auto transmission.
  • four wheel independent and adjustable suspension.
  • front brakes from C36, rear brakes from E class.
  • power steering.
  • AMG wheels with low profile tires.
  • Recaro seats with 3-point seatbelts.
  • iPod connectivity.
I prefer unmolested, Concours level restorations. But I can't fault someone who wants a little more power and better brakes and suspension components. But those rims and low profile tires ruined it for me. I say: sacrilege.

More details here.

2 comments:

Alan said...

The lovely and delicate original interior is the greatest loss.

I'm all for restomods, but you have to draw the line at ultra-rare handbuilt exotics.

greyintheusa said...

I like it, but I'd find a more appropriate wheel/tire combo, if there is such a thing. I like that it's not overdone with 600hp and carbon fiber and junk. The mods being done by AMG seals the deal for me. But what a pricetag!