Monday, November 22, 2010

Meeting Richard "Jaws" Kiel


Richard Kiels, best known as the henchman in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker, signed autographs yesterday at a local toy fair.  I was apprehensive about going.  There's no question that I am a huge fan, but I am always wary of obsessed fans who see their favorite movie stars as one-dimensional caricatures.  I wondered if Kiel is sick and tired of being recognized as Jaws, and nothing more.

When I first see Kiel, 20 feet away from me, I am star-struck and freeze mid-step.  That's the guy!  I get the nerves to approach him and shake his hand.  I thought that his hand was going to be so big, I would only be able to shake his index finger.  But I find out that his hand is large, but not humungous.  I tell him what a huge fan I am as I look at the various photos laid out on the table in front of him that are available for autographs.  I choose one with him picking up a huge rock, from the Egyptian desert scene from The Spy and a black and white profile shot of him.

I'm not Stephen.

Mr. Kiel was kind and energetic.  Though his scooter was parked next to him, the 70 year old seemed well and fit.  I asked for a photo with him.  He usually poses with his hands around the other person's head, as he if he was going to crush it.  He tried that with me, but I asked him to just pose with me in a normal fashion.

Before I left, I asked him what other movie or TV show role he recommended that I watch.  He recommended The Longest Yard (1974).  The black and white profile shot I bought was taken on the set of The Longest Yard by his co-star, Burt Reynolds.

I went home and watched it.  It is a darn great movie.  It starts with a car chase involving a Citroen SM and Kiel has a number of good lines.  It looked like everyone had a lot of fun filming the movie.

No comments: