Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What the hell has happened to CNN?!

Mike Chinoy's mustache had more gravitas than 20 Don Lemons

Remember when CNN was the first place you went to when you wanted real, responsible, adult journalism?  Whether it's Christiane Amanpour in her safari photographer vest jacket in the former Yugoslavia, Don Chinoy and his 'stache in China, or Lucia "I don't enunciate quite as badly as Sylvia Poggioli" Newman in Cuba, CNN had its sh*t together.

And what do we have today?

  • Anderson Cooper: A good person and a smart guy.  Whenever he is on the air, you get the sense that 80% of the story is about Anderson Cooper, 10% about his expensive form fitting t-shirts, and 10% about (insert your humanitarian/geopolitical crisis here).
  • Josh "Let me share with you what I learned on Wikipedia" Levs: 'Nuf said.
  • Eliot Spitzer: I had a lot of respect for the former New York AG and Governor until he dragged his poor wife in front of a nationally televised press conference when that whole high class call girl scandal broke.
  • Piers Morgan: Marginally better than Larry King, but is Yoko Ono an appropriate guest to talk about the crisis in Japan (or any topic, for that matter)?
  • John King: I have no beef with this guy.  But the title of his show, John King, USA, kind of says it all.
  • Don Lemon: I would be surprised if he understood 1/3 of the stuff he's reading.  He made co-anchor Betty Nguyen look like Simon de Beauvoir. 
  • Suzanne Malveaux: This is the saddest.  She is a great journalist but is forced to anchor a show she clearly does not enjoy, to participate in the lamest of banters with other CNN personalities, and to read crap on the tele-prompter aimed at the lowest of the lowest common denominator.  I would put Candy Crowley and Fareed Zakaria in the same category as Malveaux.

3 comments:

F1Outsider said...

It's incredibly frustrating... I used to watch CNN in the mornings but it's just so much BS.

I ended up switching to Good Morning America on ABC but was growing tired of their crap news as well. At least they've been bringing Dr. Michio Kaku on with good information with this radiation leak at the power plant in Japan. But then they bring out some pastor whose name I couldn’t care to remember who argues that there is no heaven or hell. Are you f*cking kidding me with this BS?

I think I’ll switch to BBC America’s news broadcast.

Anyways... that's my rant for today.

Anonymous said...

Who wrote this? Don Lemon never anchored with Betty. That was the other black guy. Jeez! Check your facts.

Maxichamp said...

@Anon: I stand corrected. TJ Holmes co-anchored with Nguyen. I have no beef with Holmes. He's a cool cat.