Thursday, July 05, 2012

25 service members became citizens yesterday at the White House


It's interesting to see their backgrounds and countries of origin.  The 25 hail from:

  • Guatemala (2)
  • Nigeria
  • Cape Verde
  • Russia (3)
  • Mexico
  • Bolivia
  • Honduras
  • El Salvador (2)
  • Guinea
  • Cameroon
  • Ukraine
  • Philippines (4)
  • China
  • Palau
  • Ecuador
  • Ghana
  • Colombia (2)
My naturalization story was uneventful.  I had to undergo an oral test.  The proctor asked me the cause of the Civil War.  I asked if he wanted the long, complicated answer.  He said no.  So I said "slavery".  I passed.  

At the swearing-in ceremony at the Los Angeles Convention Center, the only thing I remember was the Republicans and Democrats trying to register new voters.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats interesting, wasnt aware they still had that program of becoming a citizen after being in the armed forces. Wonder if they had to go to the front lines at all. My dad knew an Italian guy way back in the day that did this...he had to go to Vietnam though. Quite a rough deal!

Maxichamp said...

@Anon: Wow, that is a raw deal.

Alan said...

Did you see the episode of The Simpsons where Apu took the citizenship test?

"Just, just say slavery"

"Slavery it is!"

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: Are you serious? That's hilarious.

Alan said...

Maxilane,

Yes. I laughed out loud when you said this actually happened to you. I wonder if some writer experienced the same thing?

First he starts a detailed and thoughtful description and then the proctor just interrupted him. I tried to find a video, but couldn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Much_Apu_About_Nothing