Friday, March 07, 2014

Academy of Art car collection

Mission accomplished. I met up with Zach and took a gander at the amazing car collection in San Francisco. I'll post more pictures later. Matthew, one of the caretakers there, showed us around and even let us peek underneath the hoods of some rare cars.

Here are four Duesenbergs (one is a "replica").

I saw this Bentley on the way back home near the bridge. That color combo is very Audi/German. The license plate translates into: "My doctor's prescription". The driver was smoking a cigar. I can't imagine the mileage he was getting in the stop-and-go traffic.


In the mean time, read up on Zach's Saab project.

8 comments:

augie said...

cool. is this exhibit worth a visit? i see their cars at the SF auto show every year, and i've wondered if i should take an afternoon to go. each year they bring a ferrari 250 GTB which looks amazing.

Maxichamp said...

@augie: I think it's worth it if you happen to be in SF. $10 a person. Reservation required. Tuesdays and Thursdays only. About 1/3 of the collection is at the museum. Another 1/3 is in storage near the AMC theater on Van Ness (you can look through window). I don't know where the other 1/3 is. The 250 GTB and Gullwing were not at the museum. They rotate the inventory for the museum a few times a year, IIRC.

steve-vh said...

finally got in there, eh?

Maxichamp said...

@steve-vh: Oh, yeah. Apparently what you and I had passed by was the storage unit, and not the museum itself.

steve-vh said...

I'll definitely have to hit you up for the museum location next time I hit SF!

zackswheels said...

Jim, so excellent to meet and tour the collection with you! If you're ever on the East Coast, please let me know and I'll happily play host.

Maxichamp said...

@steve-vh: Here is the address. http://www.academyautomuseum.org/?page_id=26

Maxichamp said...

@zach: It was great meeting a fellow car nut!