Friday, June 26, 2015

A historic week for America

Back in November 2008, I spent Election Day volunteering for the Obama campaign in Reno, Nevada. The campaign needed attorney-volunteers to watch the polling places to make sure no one was illegally turned away from voting. No volunteers were needed in California because he was expected to easily win here. There were so many volunteers from California, nearly every polling place in the state of Nevada had at least two Obama attorney-volunteers on site.

So the polls closed and I headed back to the hotel. There, I watched the news and saw Obama declared the next president of the United States. It was an unforgettable, emotional moment. History was made. The impossible became possible. I have not felt like that since, until this week.

First, it started with the taking down of the Confederate flag in places I thought would never give up the flag without a literal gunfight. Then, the Supreme Court miraculously saved the ACA/Obamacare.

Coincidentally, I was at the same Reno hotel this morning (for work). And, in my room, I watched the news and learned that marriage was declared by the U.S. Supreme Court as a fundamental human right.

These oldtimers in Texas had been together for 55 years and just got married.

All of this progress, shocking both in its speed and magnitude, got me thinking. Back in 2005, when George W. Bush was re-elected to his second term, who could have imagined that within a decade, we would have a black president, significant (but by no means perfect) health care reform, gay marriage in all 50 states, and the taking down of Confederate flags? Not only were these achievements thought to be impossible, but the very notion of these potential realities were unfathomable.

Then, I thought-- Right now, comprehensive and effective gun control is a pipe dream. But maybe it can be achieved within the near future after all!

No comments: